Soft Leaf Buffalo
Cape Soft-Leaf Buffalo has an average water usage requirement but isn’t as drought tolerant as some of the other varieties of buffalo out there. Its durability is good, with the thick grass providing people and pets with a soft surface to walk and rest on. It also shows great recovery to damage throughout the year. Its maintenance remains low like all Buffo grass, and due to its thickness and high matt, weeds are prevented from growing through.
Buffalo is often the most desired for landscaped gardens, with its stunning broadleaf completing a beautiful scape. While the differences between Buffalo are subtle, they are many. Colour, leaf width, softness are just a few, while the budget may also come into play. But, whether Palmetto or Sir Walter and all of those in between, Green Oasis Guarantee™ always applies. Enquire today to have your own piece of Australia’s favourite lawn.
During the winter months, this grass will develop a purple colour on the blade heads; however, this will vanish quickly during spring once the weather heats back up again. Similar to the Matilda Buffalo, Shade Master Soft-Leaf Buffalo would be an ideal choice for family lawns, high traffic areas like roadsides and alongside garden beds due to its non-invasive properties. This particular lawn provides great value for money, and while its drought tolerance is not as good as some of the newer Buffalo varieties, it is still a favourite amongst many of our customers.
Water Usage: Low – Medium
Drought Tolerance: Medium (60%)
Colour Quality: Medium (Traces of purple in the winter) High
Soft Leaf Buffalo – Worth the hype?
- Provides a soft surface
- Broader leaf for more efficient photosynthesis
- Not prone to insect damage common in most other turf varieties
- Many cultivars available
- Less likely to spread into gardens
- Renovation work is relatively low
- High levels of disease resilience
- Shade tolerant
- Thick and broadleaf creates resiliency toward weed growth
- Low levels of allergy and irritability
- Lacks sharp edges of regular buffalo
- Retains colour well throughout winter
Below you will find information on a selection of Buffalo cultivars that we recommend.
Soft Leaf Buffalo- An Aussie Favourite
- Retains its colour well
- Slow growing- less frequent mowing
- Not invasive
- No sharp edges
- Less irritability
- Shade tolerant
- Fewer water requirements than most buffalo varieties
- Higher regenerative qualities than most buffalo varieties
Follow Us on Facebook